- Mobile Strategy for Your Company: SoCloDaMo (Social + Cloud + Big Data + Mobile)
- May 7, 2013
- This chapter outlines the key capabilities and trends around cloud, social, and big data as it relates to mobile. The chapter then covers how these four major trends come together to offer a set of new capabilities for businesses that compliments an overall mobile strategy.
- Secure Communications on the Cloud with a SOCKS Proxy
Alex Amies, Qiang Guo Tong
- Feb 21, 2013
- IBM Senior Software Engineer Alexander Amies and Advisory Software Engineer Qiang Guo Tong, co-authors on Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud, discuss how to use the SOCKet Secure (SOCKS) protocol, working through the cloud to access resources on your local virtual machines and VLANs, even if they're protected by firewall.
- Creating a DNS Service on the Cloud
Alex Amies, Pan Xia Zou
- Jan 28, 2013
- IBM Senior Software Engineer Alexander Amies and IBM Software Engineer Pan Xia Zou discuss how to configure and use a DNS server for management of virtual machines on the cloud. This is described in the context of a cloud-based virtual local area network and scripting to automate network configuration of virtual machines. One of the architects of the IBM SmartCloud Enterprise platform, Alex is a co-author of Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud.
- Lessons in Social Business from a Fortune 500 Product Manager: Activate Your Advocates
- Jan 22, 2013
- Because product and brand managers typically have little direct-line authority over budget or resource, catalyzing others to act in a desired way is the name of the game. This chapter explores how to activate your advocates as influencers.
- Workload Migration for the Cloud
Alex Amies, Nathaniel Gibbs
- Dec 19, 2012
- IBM Senior Software Engineer Alexander Amies and IBM Technical Solution Architect Nathan Gibbs discuss various aspects of workload migration and share some case studies that reveal techniques for such migrations. One of the architects of the IBM SmartCloud Enterprise platform, Alex is a co-author of Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud.
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence v10: Using Query Studio
- Dec 3, 2012
- Sangeeta Gautam explains how to use Query Studio, which is a core IBM Cognos BI component for business users and business analysts who need to explore the data to quickly answer various business questions.
- SQL Standards and Guidelines for DB2 Developers
- Oct 15, 2012
- This chapter shows how to create a set of SQL standards and guidelines for developers to follow when running applications that involve DB2.
- The Art of the Data Center: Bahnhof - Stockholm, Sweden
- Oct 9, 2012
- Doug Alger takes a fascinating look at one of the most amazing data centers in the world in this chapter from his book The Art of the Data Center.
- Eight Cool Things You Probably Don’t Know About Data Centers
- Sep 27, 2012
- Doug Alger, author of The Art of the Data Center, discusses eight cool things most people don’t realize about Data Centers in this InformIT exclusive audio segment.
- Multilingual Natural Language Processing Applications: Finding the Structure of Words
Daniel Bikel, Imed Zitouni
- Sep 20, 2012
- Learn how to identify words of distinct types in human languages, and how the internal structure of words can be modeled in connection with the grammatical properties and lexical concepts the words should represent.
- What You Need to Succeed in Cloud Environments
- Sep 20, 2012
- Alexander Amies discusses the items you need to run applications and services successfully on the cloud. One of the architects of the IBM SmartCloud Enterprise platform, Alex is the primary author of Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud.
- Dojo Made Easy
Paul Hannan, Jeremy Hodge, Declan Sciolla-Lynch, Tim Tripcony, Paul Withers
- Aug 22, 2012
- Infrastructure as a Service Cloud Concepts
Alex Amies, Guo Ning Liu, Harm Sluiman, Qiang Guo Tong
- Aug 1, 2012
- This chapter discusses Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) concepts with the goal of giving cloud application developers background knowledge and helping them explore why they might want to use cloud computing.
- Principles of Decision Management Systems
- Jul 16, 2012
- James Taylor discusses the four specific principles that are at the heart of identifying and building Decision Management Systems.
- Disciplined Agile Delivery in a Nutshell
Scott W. Ambler, Mark Lines
- Jul 9, 2012
- Scott Ambler and Mark Lines explain that mainstream agile methods—including Scrum, Extreme Programming (XP), and Agile Modeling (AM)—each provide only a part of the overall picture for IT solution delivery. Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD) is a hybrid process framework that pulls together common practices and strategies from these methods and supplements these with others, such as Agile Data and Kanban, to address the full delivery lifecycle.
- pureXML: Using XML in DB2 for z/OS
Craig S. Mullins
- Jun 4, 2012
- This chapter introduces you to the basics of XML and provides an overview of pureXML, IBM’s implementation of XML support embedded in DB2.
- Reporting Databases: The Two Things You Need to Know
- Apr 5, 2012
- You've probably heard the term 'data warehousing,' and you want to learn more about this technology. Roger Johnson, coauthor of IBM Cognos 10 Report Studio: Practical Examples, shares his revelations about developing a database that's designed for reporting in a simple, easy-to-understand way.
- Is Google's "Search Your World" Evil?
- Mar 29, 2012
- Google’s personalization features seem to reward Google+ presences over every other type of social network. This has far-reaching consequences for the future of search. Google’s corporate value statement is summed up in one commandment: “Don’t be evil.” In this article, search expert James Mathewson (author of Audience, Relevance, and Search: Targeting Web Audiences with Relevant Content) wonders whether the new functions favor Google’s own offerings to a degree that violates that commandment.
- XPages Portable Command Guide: Working with the Domino Server Console and the Notes OSGi Console
Martin Donnelly, Maire Kehoe, Tony McGuckin, Dan O'Connor
- Mar 19, 2012
- This chapter outlines the most relevant commands available to you as an XPages developer via the Domino server console and the Notes OSGi console.
- The Elephant in the Google Offices
- Feb 9, 2012
- Is it possible for Google to innovate too quickly? That is the question marketers and analysts are asking. The company has changed its core search product more than any time in its history, yet delivered lackluster results. In this article, search expert James Mathewson explains how the two might be related.