- How Search Marketing Works
Mike Moran, Bill Hunt
- Dec 12, 2014
- To maximize the number of searchers coming to your site, however, you must take specific actions to attract visitors to your site from search sites. That’s search marketing. This chapter from Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's Website, 3rd Edition explains why search marketing is important, why it is difficult, what search marketing is, and how to get started.
- Five Common Challenges of Implementing Information Governance
Anthony David Giordano
- Nov 10, 2014
- Anthony David Giordano, author of Performing Information Governance: A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Information Governance Work, explains the main objections that prevent organizations from implementing information governance, or that keep information governance from being successful once implemented. Learn how to overcome these challenges, as well as how information governance can add value when performed in your organization.
- Beyond Big Data: Understanding Social MDM Reference Architecture
Martin Oberhofer, Eberhard Hechler, Ivan Milman, Scott Schumacher, Dan Wolfson
- Nov 5, 2014
- Reference architectures encapsulate architectural best practices harvested and harnessed from a series of implementations. In this chapter from Beyond Big Data: Using Social MDM to Drive Deep Customer Insight, the authors introduce the Social MDM Reference Architecture regarding its key capabilities based on the capability framework. The primary purpose of this chapter is to enable you to understand the relevant components, their relationships, and interactions for building MDM solutions—specifically for Social MDM use cases.
- Information Governance & EIM Overview Governance
Anthony David Giordano
- Oct 8, 2014
- This chapter from Performing Information Governance: A Step-by-step Guide to Making Information Governance Work focuses on each of the functions within EIM in terms of their purpose, unique artifacts that are used to design and maintain the applications, and how they are built. It explains how these different functions interconnect to provide an entire information environment for an organization.
- The Evolution of Technical Information: Introduction to a Handbook for Writers and Editors
Michelle Carey, Moira McFadden Lanyi, Deirdre Longo, Eric Radzinski, Shannon Rouiller, Elizabeth Wilde
- Jul 31, 2014
- The authors of Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors, 3rd Edition introduce their book and discuss how writing and presenting technical information has evolved over the years.
- REST Web Services in WebSphere Liberty
Kyle Brown, Roland Barcia, Karl Bishop, Matthew Perrins
- Jun 30, 2014
- This chapter covers REST Web Services in WebSphere Liberty, including discussions of JAX-RS, JSON Serialization, and RESTful SOA.
- Why Big Data and Analytics?
Brenda L. Dietrich, Maureen F. Norton, Emily C. Plachy
- Jun 12, 2014
- Get the inside story of how analytics is being used across the IBM enterprise in this introduction to Analytics Across the Enterprise: How IBM Realizes Business Value from Big Data and Analytics.
- Ten Tips to Realize Value from Big Data and Analytics
Brenda L. Dietrich, Maureen F. Norton, Emily C. Plachy
- Jun 10, 2014
- What does it really take to derive value from Big Data and Analytics? Co-authors of Analytics Across the Enterprise: How IBM Realizes Business Value from Big Data and Analytics, Brenda Dietrich, Emily Plachy and Maureen Norton, identify 10 top tips based on their years of experience at IBM “eating their own cooking.” Interviews with more than 70 executives, managers and analytic practitioners across IBM yielded 31 case studies across 9 different business functions which show the breadth challenges, outcomes, analytics techniques, and lessons learned to make your analytics journey to realize business value successful.
- XPages Mobile Application Development
Martin Donnelly, Tony McGuckin, Mark Wallace
- Apr 30, 2014
- This chapter focuses on best practices and design patterns for XPages Mobile Application Development. So even if you are familiar with building mobile applications with XPages, this chapter contains some discussion that you will find interesting.
- My Life in Tech: Q&A with IBM Distinguished Engineer Mandy Chessell
InformIT Editorial Team, Mandy Chessell
- Dec 10, 2013
- Mandy Chessell talks to InformIT about what's changed at IBM over the last quarter-century, how she was inspired to work at IBM at age 14, and advice for those interested in building a successful career in technology.
- Using Database Tools and Utilities in DB2
Raul F. Chong, Clara Liu
- Nov 19, 2013
- How do you work with DB2? How do you issue SQL and/or XQuery statements and enter DB2 commands? Are there graphical tools that can make your administration tasks easier? This chapter provides the answers to all of these questions. DB2 provides a wide range of tools, both graphical and command-driven, to help you work with DB2.
- Agile Breakthrough Techniques to Keep You from "Waterfalling Backward": Whole Teams
Leslie Ekas, Scott Will
- Nov 15, 2013
- This chapter describes why whole teams experience better communication, productivity, and collective knowledge sharing than traditional silo’d teams. It makes a case for keeping teams intact as well as protecting them from interruption during a product release.
- How “Go To” People Help Make Agile Software Development Work (and How You Can Become One)
- Nov 12, 2013
- Leslie Ekas explains who "go to" people are (you know them already—the ones you contact first to find out what's going on) and why they are particularly beneficial for teams who plan on adopting agile.
- My Life in Tech: Q&A with Diana Stepner, Head of Future Technologies at Pearson
Diana Stepner, InformIT Editorial Team
- Oct 10, 2013
- InformIT (a part of Pearson) talks with Diana Stepner, the Head of Future Technologies at Pearson, about trends in the education and consumer spaces, her roles models, and the most exciting thing happening in tech right now.
- Top 10 Mobile Strategy Myths
- Aug 19, 2013
- Mobile technology offers companies tremendous opportunities to transform their business. However, there are many myths and misconceptions about how to embrace mobile technologies to win in the market. Dirk Nicol, author of Mobile Strategy, walks you through the top 10 mobile myths.
- Introduction to Patterns of Information Management
Mandy Chessell, Harald Smith
- Jun 26, 2013
- In software engineering, we are taught that abstraction, modularity, and information hiding are useful approaches when breaking down a set of requirements into manageable chunks for implementation. In this introduction to Patterns of Information Management , Mandy Chessell and Harald Smith explain how their book makes use of these principles to tackle the synchronization of information between IT systems.
- Mobile Strategy for Your Company: SoCloDaMo (Social + Cloud + Big Data + Mobile)
- May 7, 2013
- This chapter outlines the key capabilities and trends around cloud, social, and big data as it relates to mobile. The chapter then covers how these four major trends come together to offer a set of new capabilities for businesses that compliments an overall mobile strategy.
- Secure Communications on the Cloud with a SOCKS Proxy
Alex Amies, Qiang Guo Tong
- Feb 21, 2013
- IBM Senior Software Engineer Alexander Amies and Advisory Software Engineer Qiang Guo Tong, co-authors on Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud, discuss how to use the SOCKet Secure (SOCKS) protocol, working through the cloud to access resources on your local virtual machines and VLANs, even if they're protected by firewall.
- Creating a DNS Service on the Cloud
Alex Amies, Pan Xia Zou
- Jan 28, 2013
- IBM Senior Software Engineer Alexander Amies and IBM Software Engineer Pan Xia Zou discuss how to configure and use a DNS server for management of virtual machines on the cloud. This is described in the context of a cloud-based virtual local area network and scripting to automate network configuration of virtual machines. One of the architects of the IBM SmartCloud Enterprise platform, Alex is a co-author of Developing and Hosting Applications on the Cloud.
- Lessons in Social Business from a Fortune 500 Product Manager: Activate Your Advocates
- Jan 22, 2013
- Because product and brand managers typically have little direct-line authority over budget or resource, catalyzing others to act in a desired way is the name of the game. This chapter explores how to activate your advocates as influencers.