Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
DB2 Express: Easy Development and Administration (paperback)
- Your Price: $47.99
- List Price: $59.99
- Available on demand.
- Copyright 2005
- Dimensions: 7 X 9-1/4
- Pages: 496
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-13-702081-3
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-702081-2
IBM DB2 UDB Express Edition Version 8.2 delivers everything small to medium-sized businesses need to accelerate time-to-value and dramatically reduce TCO in their database applications. Now, IBM's own experts show exactly how to get started with DB2 Express, and use it to develop, deploy, and manage superior applications from start to finish.
Like DB2 Express itself, this book cuts out the complexity--helping you achieve the full business benefits of today's most advanced database platform simply and quickly. You'll find step-by-step guidance and expert tips for every facet of DB2 Express development and administration, including: application design; development with both Visual Basic .NET and Java; security; deployment; performance tuning; day-to-day administration; and more.
IBM's own DB2 specialists demonstrate how to use DB2 Express' graphical tools to manage DB2 more easily than any other full-function relational database. Along the way, they help you make the most of DB2 Express' powerful "autonomic" features for self-administration, self-tuning, and self-healing to drive down costs throughout the entire application lifecycle.
This book will help you:
- Understand DB2 Express architecture and its implications for development and administration
- Install DB2 Express, create databases, and master essential DB2 Express tools
- Work with database objects: schemas, data types, tables, relationships, views, and indexes
- Develop VB.NET applications with ADO.NET and the DB2 .NET Data Provider
- Develop Java applications with JDBC and SQLJ
- Leverage DB2's concurrency model to design efficient transactions and improve user experience
- Introduce database functions, stored procedures, and triggers to improve application design
- Generate and manipulate data efficiently: LOAD, IMPORT, exporting to Microsoft Excel, reporting, and more
- Tune performance: optimize your configuration, analyze SQL with Visual Explain, and optimize SQL with Design Advisor
- Secure your applications: authentication, authorization, group privileges, and more
- Deploy to production, and master silent DB2 installations
- Define a solid database maintenance plan that fully leverages DB2 Express autonomic features
- Troubleshoot DB2 Express and avoid common pitfalls
Whether you're a developer, administrator, IT manager, or end-user, this definitive single-source guide will help you achieve results fast... and maximize DB2 Express' business value, every step of the way.
Table of Contents
Dedication and Acknowledgments.
DB2 Express Book Web Site.
About This Book.
Who Should Read This Book.
What Is DB2 Express?
What’s Cool about DB2 Express v8.2.
Book Web Site 7
2. Getting Started.
Installing DB2 Express.
DB2 Graphical Tools.
Creating a Database.
DB2 Command Editor.
DB2 Information Center.
Supplemental: Installing DB2 Clients from a Server CD.
3. The L8NITE Database Application.
Late Night Convenience Store Requirements
The Data Model.
The Point-of-Sale Application Interface.
4. Database Objects.
Retrieving Data from the Database.
Altering the Definition of a Table.
5. Visual Basic .NET Application Development.
What Are .NET and ADO.NET?
.NET Support in DB2.
A Tour of DB2 Tools in Visual Studio .NET 2003.
Getting Started with the L8NITE Application.
Adding the DB2 .NET Data Provider Reference.
Establishing a Database Connection.
Displaying Data in the User Interface.
Making Changes to Data in the Database.
Learning More about DataSet, DataTable, and DataRow.
Controlling a Transaction.
Catching Errors with Exception Handlers.
Troubleshooting Using DB2 CLI Tracing.
6. Java Application Development.
JDBC in DB2.
Designing a Java Application.
Building the Application Using JDBC.
Retrieving Data Using SQLJ.
7. Maximizing Concurrency.
DB2’s Concurrency Model.
Improving the User Experience.
8. Working with Functions, Stored Procedures, and Triggers.
The DB2 Development Center.
Supplemental: Creating UDFs, Stored Procedures, and Triggers Using VS.NET.
9. Working with Data.
The LOAD and IMPORT Utilities.
Generating Sample Data.
Generating Large Data Sets Using LOAD FROM CURSOR.
Importing DB2 Data into Spreadsheets.
Creating Reports Using Microsoft Excel.
10. Performance Tuning.
Optimizing Configuration Using the Configuration Advisor.
Analyzing SQL Using Visual Explain.
Optimizing SQL Performance with the Design Advisor.
11. Implementing Security.
Defining the SYSADM Authority.
Authentication and Authorization.
The PUBLIC Group.
Data Communications Encryption.
12. Deploying to Production.
Extracting DDL from the Database.
Important Deployment Considerations.
Supplemental: Implementing Silent DB2 Installation.
13. Automating Maintenance in Production.
Database Operational View.
Database Log Management.
Notification and Contact List.
Automating and Scheduling Maintenance.
Health of the Database.
Supplemental: High Availability and Disaster Recovery.
14. Troubleshooting Tools.
Interpreting Error Codes.
DB2 Defects and Applying FixPaks.
The DB2 Administration Server.
Other Sources of Help.
Appendix A. Development Center.
Installing the DB2 Development Center.
Using the Development Center for the First Time.
Development Center Views.
Customizing the Development Center.
Debugging Stored Procedures.
Working with Projects.
- Request an Instructor or Media review copy.
- Corporate, Academic, and Employee Purchases
- International Buying Options
Other Things You Might Like
- DB2 SQL Tuning Tips for z/OS Developers
- Book $31.99
- DB2 SQL Tuning Tips for z/OS Developers
- eBook (Watermarked) $25.59