Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
IBM Rational ClearCase, Ant, and CruiseControl: The Java Developer's Guide to Accelerating and Automating the Build Process
- Your Price: $39.99
- List Price: $49.99
- Usually ships in 24 hours.
- Copyright 2006
- Dimensions: 7x9-1/4
- Pages: 384
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-321-35699-3
- ISBN-13: 978-0-321-35699-4
Optimize your entire Java build and release process with ClearCase®, Ant, and CruiseControl
Better builds mean better software. Effective, regular build processes accelerate development and improve quality, helping you identify small problems early, before they grow complex and costly to fix. Now, there’s a step-by-step guide to creating Java build processes that are right for your organization. Leading build and release management expert Kevin Lee introduces best practices for integrating and using three exceptionally powerful and recognized industry standard tools: IBM Rational® ClearCase software configuration management system, the open source Ant build tool, and CruiseControl for automating continuous builds.
No previous build experience is necessary: Lee thoroughly explains everything from configuring SCM environments and defining build scripts through to release packaging and deployment. He offers solutions and techniques for both Base ClearCase and Unified Change Management (UCM)–IBM Rational’s best practice Software Configuration Management usage model. Key techniques are presented in real-world context, through a full-fledged three-tier application case study.
Whether you are a software developer, manager, or integrator, this book will help you create better builds–and reap the benefits in efficiency, traceability, quality, and speed.
· Ensuring that every build you create is complete, consistent, and reproducible
· Configuring a ClearCase-controlled environment to support your development organization’s build and release process
· Installing Ant and configuring it to build all of your project assets
· Integrating Ant with ClearCase and effectively using them together
· Installing CruiseControl and configuring it to schedule and automate different types of builds
· Integrating CruiseControl with ClearCase to schedule builds and automate baselines and reports
· Creating custom baseline and change request reports
· Setting up automatic notification whenever build problems arise
· Creating and packaging releasable, traceable builds with ClearCase and ClearQuest™
Online Sample Chapter
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Download the Sample Chapter related to this title.
Table of Contents
Part I Overview 1
Chapter 1 Introduction to Software Build and Release Management 3
Part II Environment 17
Chapter 2 Tools of the Trade 19
Chapter 3 Configuring Your SCM Environment 37
Part III Definition 61
Chapter 4 Defining Your Build and Release Scripts 63
Chapter 5 Apache Ant Best Practices 81
Part IV Execution 109
Chapter 6 Running Your Build Scripts 111
Chapter 7 CruiseControl Best Practices 131
Part V Reporting 163
Chapter 8 Baseline and Change Request Reports 165
Chapter 9 Build Reporting and Auditing 195
Part VI Release 229
Chapter 10 The Art of Releasing 231
Chapter 11 Release Packaging and Deployment 259
Part VII Conclusion 291
Chapter 12 Putting It All Together 293
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
- Request an Instructor or Media review copy.
- Corporate, Academic, and Employee Purchases
- International Buying Options