Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Reaching The Goal: How Managers Improve a Services Business Using Goldratt's Theory of Constraints
- This product currently is not for sale.
eBook (Adobe DRM)
- Your Price: $25.59
- List Price: $31.99
- About Adobe DRM eBooks
- Install the free Adobe Digital Editions software on your machine. Adobe Digital Editions only works on Macintosh and Windows, and requires the Adobe Flash Player. Please see the official system requirements.
- Authorize your copy of Adobe Digital Editions using your Adobe ID (select AdobeID as the eBook vendor). If you don't already have an Adobe ID, you can create one here.
Adobe® Digital Editions software.This eBook requires the free
Before downloading this DRM-encrypted PDF, be sure to:
Audio Podcast: John Arthur Ricketts, Using the Theory of Constraints in Services (Business901 Podcasts)
- Copyright 2008
- Dimensions: 6x9
- Pages: 400
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 0-13-233312-0
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-233312-2
- eBook (Adobe DRM)
- ISBN-10: 0-13-235947-2
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-235947-4
“There is no doubt that this is a truly original and groundbreaking work in applying the Theory of Constraints. I run a services company and learned some things about the services business. Anyone involved in large services companies needs to look at what John is proposing. I will definitely quote this material frequently.”
Chad Smith, Managing Partner, Constraints Management Group
“The information presented in this book is badly needed by service providers who struggle to balance supply and demand with their resources.”
Carol A. Ptak, CFPIM, CIRM
“The techniques that John brings to light in this book are the bridge from the vision of Dr. Goldratt’s work to the successful implementation in a range of services firms.”
From the Foreword by Erik Bush, Vice President, IBM Global Services
- Discover the powerful Theory of Constraints (TOC), and use it to drive continuous performance improvement in any services organization
- Identify the hidden constraints that are limiting your organization, and manage or eliminate them
- Use TOC to improve the way you manage resources, projects, processes, finance, marketing, and sales
- Determine whether your organization faces an internal or external constraint, manage that constraint accordingly, and anticipate where the next constraint will arise
- Release latent capacity shrouded by common business practices
- Simplify processes that have grown unmanageably complex
- Optimize your enterprise as a whole rather than suboptimizing individual business units
- Get buy-in to fundamental changes in strategy, tactics, and operations
Managing services is extremely challenging, and traditional “industrial” management techniques are no longer adequate. In Reaching the Goal, Dr. John Arthur Ricketts presents a breakthrough management approach that embraces what makes services different: their diversity, complexity, and unique distribution methods.
Ricketts draws on Eli Goldratt’s Theory of Constraints (TOC), one of this generation’s most successful management methodologies...thoroughly adapting it to the needs of today’s professional, scientific, and technical services businesses. He reveals how to identify the surprising constraints that limit your organization’s performance, execute more effectively within those constraints, and then loosen or even eliminate them.
This book’s relentlessly practical techniques reflect several years of advanced IBM research and consulting with enterprise clients. Step-by-step, Ricketts shows how to apply them throughout your most crucial business functions...from project management to finance, process improvement to sales and marketing.
Whatever your role in improving service delivery, processes, or profitability, this book gives you the tools to reach your goals...and go beyond them
- Identify, manage, and overcome your key constraints
Five steps to uncovering and addressing the real obstacles to improved performance
- Optimize core business functions, one step at a time
Improve the way you manage resources, projects, processes, finance, and marketing
- Implement TOC rapidly and effectively
Get buy-in, deploy infrastructure, and provide the right IT support?
Downloadable Sample Chapter
Table of Contents
Foreword by Erik Bush xv
About the Author xxv
Part I: Foundations
Chapter 1 Introduction 3
Chapter 2 Services On Demand 15
Chapter 3 Theory of Constraints 33
Part II: Applications
Chapter 4 Resource Management 67
Chapter 5 Project Management 91
Chapter 6 Process Management 119
Chapter 7 Finance and Accounting 157
Chapter 8 Marketing and Sales 193
Part III: Implementation
Chapter 9 Strategy and Change 221
Chapter 10 Implementation and Technology 253
Chapter 11 Conclusion 281
Part IV: Appendixes
Appendix A Resource Optimization 309
Appendix B Process Simulation 325
Appendix C Throughput Accounting for Software 339
ONE MONTH ACCESS!
Get unlimited 30-day access to thousands of Books & Training Videos about technology, professional development and digital media If you continue your subscription after your 30-day trial, you can receive 30% off a monthly subscription to the Safari Library for up to 12 months.
Other Things You Might Like
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence v10: The Complete Guide
- eBook (Watermarked) $44.79